As well as building web applications, the Wakanda platform lets developers create HTML pages for desktop, mobile or tablet PCs, with widgets that are adapted for the "touchscreen" environment.
Wakanda is comprised of three components: Wakanda Server provides a super-rapid datastore, an HTTP server and a home for a Wakanda application's business logic; Wakanda Studio allows you to design datastore classes, create business logic and draw up a graphical user interface (GUI) - all visually; Wakanda Framework provides the widgets and the transactional layer to enable Wakanda applications to work across many browsers and mobile devices.
Wakanda is an initiative of global software company 4D, which for the past two years has backed a separate, young development team to build this innovative application development platform.
4D Australasia Managing Director Damon Carley said the Developer Preview version of Wakanda was still not in its final form. “It’s taking baby steps, so we ask developers to be gentle and not throw it into the workforce right away,” he advised.
“We’ve released this first public version to invite developers to check it out, to be critical, alert us of the faults and make suggestions for its evolution into a finished product. Every newborn needs a family, so we encourage developers to participate in the forum, and eventually in the open source community we hope to build around Wakanda as the project continues its development.”
Although it shares its name with the country from which the character Black Panther hails in the Marvel comic book universe, the name for the Wakanda software actually comes from the Sioux Indian word that describes the "inner magic" in everything.
The Developer Preview of Wakanda is in an early testing, pre-beta phase where its product specifications are still open to change. Wakanda Developer Preview build 92237 was released on June 8. The finished product is scheduled for formal launch early next year.
During the current Developer Preview phase, Wakanda is provided with an evaluation license that is free for all to use. This latest build can be downloaded from http://wakanda.org/download
About Wakanda http://www.wakanda.org/
- Wakanda Server provides a super-rapid datastore, an HTTP server and a home for a Wakanda application's business logic
- Wakanda Studio allows you to design datastore classes, create business logic and draw up a graphical user interface (GUI) - all visually!
- Wakanda Framework provides the widgets and the transactional layer that enables Wakanda applications to work across many browsers and mobile devices.
- Accenture to deploy digital diagnostics for Windows Azure Innovative website analysis software developed in Adelaide by Maxamine - now owned by Accenture - will be deployed on the Windows Azure software-as-a-service platform. In early 200...
- Alan Greig trades in keyboard for corkscrew After running some of SA’s most successful software companies, IT entrepreneur Alan Greig has headed for the hills with his wife Jane Mitchell to run a restaurant in one of SA’s ol...